Google has tentative plans for a $600 million data center in the Northland. The initiative's code name is "Project Shale." The project was announced at a Port Authority's (Port KC) board meeting on July 22nd, where the board approved a resolution authorizing Port KC to issue bonds for the pro...
Kansas City Overview
Kansas City Metro has a population of 2.3 million and has a low-risk profile. Additionally KC has low-cost power, moderate connectivity and construction costs.
Kansas City Wholesale and Retail Colocation Options:
The data center market primarily has retail colocation sector with a few wholesale colocation providers
- Netrality – owns the primary telecom hotel at 1102 Grand and offers retail colo space
- TierPoint – operates two facilities totaling over 85,000 SF in suburban Kansas City
- QTS – only operates small datacenters in KC
- DataBank – has two sites totaling 20,000 SF of raised floor
- LightEdge Solutions – operates a 60,000 SF data center in Hunt Midwest’s SubTropolis underground site.
- Cavern Technologies – its 200,000 SF underground facility in Lenexa can provide up to 50 MW.
- Iron Mountain – operates a 22-acre campus with its carrier-neutral underground colocation site
Hazardous Risk Profile
Missouri is a low-risk state for acts of terrorism, hurricanes and earthquakes, having experienced no major disasters since record keeping began in 1957 (FEMA).