Much has been said about how data centers adversely affect the environment. However, more data centers have begun to become 'Greener.' Besides, in order to leave a better environmental footprint, many data center companies are now spending more on green energy. Investors and data center financ...
Demographics & Economy:
Calgary is located in the Canadian province of Alberta. The Calgary Metropolitan Region (CMR) has a population of 1.4 million people and is Canada’s 3rd largest city. The economy is fortunate to be in a major oil and gas region and the economy revolves around it. However, the Calgary CMA is home of the 2nd most corporate headquarters in Canada. Shaw Communications is headquartered in Calgary.
Calgary Colocation Providers
The Calgary colocation market is competitive. The market is small, but there are choices and operators have the capacity. The primary Calgary colo providers are:
- Q9 Networks operates three data centers. Q9's largest and newest data center is “Calgary 3” located in the South East
- Rogers also operates three data centers in the market. Their flagship data center is in Airdie, 30 km North of Calgary. It is a high-density facility and a minimum density of (3) KWs per cabinet is required.
- Flexential operates a data center at 7007 54th SE. Viawest was rebranded in 2018 as Flexential after the Viawest/Peak10 merger.
- The Shaw data center is in the same building as Flexential.
- DataHive offers a locally owned and operated option
There are no tax credits or incentives that are specifically for data centers, however, Alberta has the lowest overall taxation rate in Canada for both businesses and employees. Alberta also has no sales tax or payroll tax.
Data Centers Announced or Under Construction
There are no known data centers that have been announced or under construction.