Company: Swisscom AG
Region: Berne (Bern)
Region: Western Europe
Total Power: 3.36 Megawatts
- Four modules with an effective output of 600 kW each
- Expandable to seven modules with 600kW per module
- Efficiency factor: 84% (PUE*=1.2) (European average: 51% (PUE=2)
- State-of-the-art hybrid cooling system with evaporation cooling using rainwater
- 100% of waste heat used to heat nearby homes
- Uninterrupted power supply with no-break units
- Guaranteed business continuity thanks to links with ultra-modern Zollikofen data centre
- Outstanding availability with Tier level IV certification
Swisscom is one of the top ten electricity purchasers in Switzerland. All our electricity comes from local renewable energy sources and we purchase more wind and solar energy than any other company in Switzerland. We require our suppliers to meet high environmental and social standards.
Our clearly defined corporate responsibility strategy sets high sustainability standards for the Wankdorf data centre. The building is cooled using fresh air and rainwater rather than conventional power-hungry cooling equipment. Waste heat is fed into the city of Berne’s heating network and can be used to heat nearby homes. The innovative emergency power supply system means batteries are no longer needed and guarantees an uninterrupted, efficient power supply to the servers. Thanks to these measures, the Wankdorf data centre has a top energy usage rating.
The Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) value is at 1.2. Cooling and power supply account for only 20% of the energy consumed by the servers. These efficiency measures have been certified and approved by PUEDA, the Federal Department of Energy’s data centre energy efficiency programme.
With this concept we enable our clients to realize energy savings. According to a study certified by the myclimate foundation, using cloud-based IT services reduces energy consumption by up to 90% compared to the use of individual servers. Bundling IT services for a large number of companies in energy-efficient data centres is therefore an effective strategy for increasing energy efficiency in Switzerland. (source: Swisscom)